logo top bubbles horzontal nav
logo bottom
Adolf Hitler
Heinrich Himmler
Joseph Goebbels
Hans Frank
Rudolf Hoess
Paul Blobel
Jürgen Stroop
Kurt Gerstein
August Hafner
Death Camps
Nazi Doctors
Holocaust Victims
Holocaust Links
nav bottom


Paul Blobel was SS commander in Einsatzgruppen C, a mobile killing squad. He was arrested after the war and was one of the principal defendants in The Einsatzgruppen Case at Nuremberg. He was sentenced to death in 1948 and hanged at the Landsberg prison in Bavaria on June 8, 1951. His affidavit on the burning of bodies and obliterating the traces of bodies of Jews killed by the Einsatzgruppen was given at Nuremberg, June 18, 1947:

I, Paul Blobel, swear, declare and state in evidence: 

1. I was born in Potsdam on August 13, 1894. From June 1941 to January 1942 I was the commander of Sonderkommando 4A.

2. After I had been released from this command, I was to report to Berlin to SS Obergruppenfuhrer Heydrich and Gruppenfuhrer Muller, and in June 1942 I was entrusted by Gruppenfuhrer Muller with the task of obliterating traces of executions carried out by the Einsatzgruppen in the East. My orders were that I should report in person to the commanders of the Security Police and SD, pass on Muller's orders verbally and supervise their implementation. This order was top secret and Gruppenfuhrer Muller had given orders that owing to the need for strictest secrecy there was to be no correspondence in connection with this task. In September 1942 I reported to Dr. Thomas in Kiev and passed the order to him. The order could not be carried out immediately partly because Dr. Thomas was disinclined to carry it out, and also because the materials required for the burning of the bodies was not available. In May and June 1943 I made additional trips to Kiev in this matter and then, after conversations with Dr. Thomas and with SS and Police Leader Hennecke, the order was carried out.

3. During my visits in August I myself observed the burning of bodies in a mass grave near Kiev. This grave was about 55 m. long, 3 m. wide and 2-1/2 m. deep. After the top had been removed the bodies were covered with inflammable material and ignited. It took about two days until the grave burned down to the bottom. I myself observed that the fire had glowed down to the bottom. After that the grave was filled in and the traces practically obliterated.

4. Owing to the moving up of the front line it was not possible to destroy the mass graves farther south and east which had resulted from executions by the Einsatzgruppen. I traveled to Berlin in connection to this report, and was sent to Estonia by Gruppenfuhrer Muller. I passed the same orders to Oberfuhrer Achammer-Pierader in Riga, and also to Obergruppenfuhrer Jeckeln. I returned to Berlin in order to obtain fuel. The burning of the bodies began only in May or June 1944. I remember that incinerations took place in the area of Riga and Reval. I was present at such incinerations near Reval, but the graves were smaller here and contained only about twenty to thirty bodies. The graves in the area of Reval were 20 or 30 kms. east of the city in a marshy district and I think that four or five such graves were opened and the bodies burned.

5. According to my orders I should have extended my duties over the entire area occupied by the Einsatzgruppen, but owing to the retreat from Russia I could not carry out my orders completely....

Nuremberg, June 18, 1947
signed: Paul Blobel





bottom corner

deathcamps.info  Louis Bülow  Privacy.  ©2011-13.